Thursday, May 18, 2006

Part 3 - Bringing it "Hone"

From what I learned when buying the engine, the car had sat for a long time and the engine had seized. This was probably why the engine had been taken apart. The cylinders all looked to be in good shape, however as I would be installing new rings a good honing was in order.

FLEX-HONE, oil & instructions

Lucky for me, a good friend had just the tool to make the job easy. Called the FLEX-HONE, it is a revised version of the old three-stone-hone. Essentially a cylinder of abrasive globules it is self centering and the automatically adjusts to the bore.









FLEX-HONE in action

Following the instructions, I used 10-30 weight oil. With the FLEX-HONE attached to my electric drill on a medium speed setting (500 to 1200 rpm), I gave each bore a 30 second "treatment" at 120 strokes per minute, as per the instructions.










The final result

No comments: